Today I am here with a 50th birthday card as a reminder for The Flower Challenge #68. Our theme this month is “Use A Number “
Here’s my take on it.
I started my background with the Radiant Burst embossing folder from Spellbinders. Centering the burst towards the top left side is intentional as I was planning to have my focal image there. A little splatter of pearlescent metallic watercolor adds a touch of artistic look.
This time my focus isn’t just one element. As The Flower Challenge requires flower as the main focus, I have used the Altenew Mini Flower die to create this flower cluster and leaves around it. I also have the pattern paper square cut with one of the Hemstitch Squares die from Spellbinders behind the flower. And of course to fit in the theme, I used a die cut number which says 50.
Most of the time I have a color palette already decided. But sometimes I just pick a pattern paper I want to use and then think of what other colors look good with it. This is what I did for this particular project.
The sentiment is the number itself. 50 could be a birthday or anniversary.
The title may sound relevant to all card-makers as we do create card with our heart. But in this particular case I literally meant with Heart as our theme for The Flower Challenge is “Add A Heart”
There are many ways to use heart in front of a card. You can use the background embossed with hearts. Maybe use a heart stencil to create the background. You can arrange the floral elements in a shape of heart like I did here in this project. You can just add a die cut heart behind the focal image like I did here.
For my card here today I used a small die cut heart to stamp the sentiment. A heart print background and even the sentiment says “A grateful heart is a magnet of miracles. And heart embellishments. I definitely went overboard with hearts today.
For my background today I used a pattern paper with hearts cut to 4 by 5 and a quarter inches. Layered a black and white stripe strip of patter paper across the lower portion of the panel. I added a green ribbon that would match the color of my leaves with a bow in the black and white strip. Matted the whole panel with a dark pink card-stock. I like doing that as pattern papers are not very thick and adding a mat also gives it a finished look.
As all Flower Challenge requires flowers as the main focus, I added these die cut layered pink morning glory flowers created with AltenewMorning Glory Layering Die. This was one of the Craft A Flower die subscription. I used Recollection Card-stock from Michaels to die cut the flowers.
For the sentiment of this card I wanted to use a heart die cut to stamp the sentiment on. This Recollection hearts die had one die that was the right size. I used pink card-stock to die cut the heart. And I glued a darker pink card-stock behind it and cut it with scallop scissors around it carefully to create this scallop heart.
I stamped the sentiment from Gina K Designs Grateful Bloom stamp set which matched perfectly with my project. I used Simon Says Stamp Intense black ink.
Arranged the flowers and the heart towards the left side of the panel. And finally, added the whole panel on to an A2 size side folding card base.
I had the My Minds Eye enamel pack which had matching color enamel hearts. I added some enamel hearts on the sentiment heart die cut. Finally, my card is done.
If this inspires you to create cards with hearts please follow along with us at The Flower Challenge and post your projects.
I used the scrap pieces of white card-stock to die cut the layers of this flower and leaves.
To add color to my flower layers I used distressed oxide inks in shades of pinks. The bottom layer being the darkest and the top most layer the lightest.
Similarly added green inks on the layers of leaves
For the flower center I just used Copic markers to color the tiny die cut pieces
Added the layers with liquid glue and arranged the flower.
The pink flower against the pink background was not so visible so I decided to add a square piece of vellum cut with the Spellbinders Hemstitch Square die.
Stamped a sentiment from Altenew with clear embossing ink on a scrap piece of black card stock and embossed using white embossing powder.
Added it right under the flower
This completed my card which I created from mostly just scraps except for the card base. I am famous for hoarding even the tiniest scraps. Projects like this make me use up these so I do not feel guilty of saving all these scrap card stocks.
Hopefully I am able to inspire you to use the scraps and create fun projects like this. If so join with us at The Flower Challenge and share your creations.
I’m still in the learning stage in coloring white flowers. I like to try different styles. I used Copic colors for this image. Started with light green where the depth should be and flicked it out. Added C3 where there are cast shadows.
For the center of the orchid I used RV4 which definitely was much higher in value hence contrasting the rest of the coloring. So I tried to balance it out by stamping the sentiment is matching color card-stock strip and also matted the layer with the same card-stock.
I really believe that a well balanced composition makes a card admirable.
Here is a little closer look to my colored image.
Hopefully this was an inspiration for you to create your projects and play along with us.